General Terms and Conditions
Last Updated: 2 October 2017
Gates Open Research is an open access publishing platform controlled by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (“Foundation”). This website, https://GatesOpenResearch.org (“Website”), is hosted and operated by F1000 Research Limited (“Service Provider”) on behalf of the Foundation.
- Users. References to "you" means both: (a) the individual user of the Website; and (b) any entity for whom you act as agent.
- Additional Registration Terms and Conditions. Certain parts of this Website may require registration and be subject to additional Terms and Conditions, which will be made available for you to read at the time of registration.
- OA Content. This Website contain (a) content that is the property of the Foundation (“Foundation Content”), (b) content that is the property of the Service Provider (“Service Provider Content”), (c) content licensed to the Foundation and/or the Service Provider (“Licensed Content”), and (d) content made available pursuant to a Creative Commons license (“OA Content”). The copyright in the Foundation Content belongs to the Foundation. The copyright in the Service Provider Content belongs to the Service Provider. The copyright in the Licensed Content and the OA Content belongs to the licensors thereof. The trademarks appearing on this Website are protected by the laws of the United States, England and Wales, and international trademark laws. Reproduction of Foundation Content on this Website is prohibited unless express permission is given by the Foundation. Reproduction of the Service Provider Content on this Website is prohibited unless express permission is given by the Service Provider. The OA Content may only be used in accordance with the terms of the applicable Creative Commons license by which it is made available.
- No Additional License Granted. Save as expressly set out herein no license is granted in respect of any intellectual property rights vested in the Foundation, the Service Provider or other third parties.
- Creative Commons License. Except where otherwise noted all research content published on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license and any data contained in such content in accordance with the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 International License.
- Misuse. The Foundation or the Service Provider on the Foundation’s behalf may suspend or terminate your access and use of this Website at any time without notice.
- DISCLAIMER. THIS WEBSITE AND ITS CONTENT, INCLUDING OA CONTENT, IS PROVIDED FOR USE “AS IS”. NEITHER THE FOUNDATION NOR THE SERVICE PROVIDER MAKES ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THIS WEBSITE OR ITS CONTENT. ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY AND FITNESS FOR PURPOSE RELATING TO THIS WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT AND/OR ANY WEBSITE TO WHICH THIS WEBSITE IS LINKED ARE HEREBY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW EXCLUDED. NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ARE GIVEN AS TO THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY WEBSITE TO WHICH THIS WEBSITE IS LINKED.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. In no event shall the Foundation, the Service Provider or their respective affiliates, employees, agents, suppliers, or contractors be liable for any damages of any nature, including without limitation any indirect or consequential loss, loss of income or profit, loss of or damage to property, claims of third parties, or any other loss, cost, claim or expense of any kind or character arising out of or in connection with the use of this Website, its content or any website with which this Website is linked. This exclusion and limitation only applies to the extent permitted by law and does not apply to liability for death or personal injury caused by the negligence of the Foundation, the Service Provider, or their respective affiliates, employees, agents, suppliers or contractors.
- Amendments. The Foundation or the Service Provider, on the Foundation’s behalf, reserve the right to change these Terms and Conditions by posting changes on this page of the Website. When we do so, we will change the date at the top of this page. We encourage you to return to this page to check for any updates or changes. You will be deemed to have accepted such changes if you use this Website after the amended Terms and Conditions have been published on this page of the Website
- User Comments. Certain parts of this Website offer the opportunity for users to post and exchange opinions, information, material and data (“User Comments”). Neither the Foundation nor the Service Provider screen, edit, publish or review Comments prior to their appearance on this Website and User Comments do not reflect the views or opinions of the Foundation or the Service Provider, and their respective affiliates, employees, agents, suppliers, or contractors. User Comments reflect the view and opinion of the person who posts such view or opinion. To the extent permitted by applicable laws neither the Foundation nor the Service Provider shall be responsible or liable for the User Comments or for any loss, cost, liability, damages or expenses caused and or suffered as a result of any use of and/or posting of and/or appearance of the User Comments on this Website.
- Governing Law. These terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of New York, U.S.A.